“Feeding a hungry child is not charity, it is our social responsibility”

unlimited food for education

Children are being fed everyday!
I donated and made a difference!
YOU can do it too.

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Eggless Zebra Cake

Every year ,I bake a cake on V day for my kid & her class. Some years back ,I had baked eggless marble cake.

I have been trying to bake a zebra cake for long. I did try.The cakes were cakes with stripes all mixed up as both  batters would mix up .Obviously , because, they were water for this cake.

This time, I thought, I would be more careful.And yet, though the batters did mix up , the cake can be identified as striped, at least, on the outside.



Ingredients: 1/2 cup atta, 1/2 cup maida, 3/4 cup yoghurt, 1/3 cup applesauce, 2 tsp baking powder, 3 tsp milk powder ( optional ), 3tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 cup white ordinary sugar, 1/2 cup or more of water for adjusting batter consistency,1 /2 tsp salt.

Method : Pre  heat oven to 180 degrees centigrade .Meanwhile, start preparing the two batters.

I wanted to make one batter with maida , yoghurt & other ingredients. This is so that maida & yoghurt would give the white stripes.The other batter would be atta or whole wheat flour, apple sauce, cocoa, etc for brown stripes. And when I started mixing the dry ingredients, I erred.I mixed atta with yoghurt instead of maida & yoghurt.



White batter : Mix 1/2 cup atta , 1/4 cup white ordinary sugar,3 tsps milk powder , 1 tsp baking powder& 1/4 tsp salt.Mix these dry ingredients well many times over with fork or whisk.Make a well in the dry mix.Pour3/4 cup yoghurt & mix to form batter.My batter was not mixed with so much yogurt. So added water little by little.Got the white batter. By the time ,it had become slightly runny batter. Keep aside.

In another bowl ,mix cocoa powder, 1/2 cup maid,1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 cup  white sugar, 1/4tsp salt to get chocolate dry mix. Mix all nicely. Make a well in dry mix.Put the apple sauce into the well.Mix to make the chocolate batter. Add water drop by drop till a drop down consistency batter is obtained. Keep aside.


Line a baking dish with butter paper. With a spoon , add 1 tbsp of white batter in the centre of the baking dish.On the white batter which has started spreading on the bottom of baking dish, pour a tbsp of chocolate batter. Again on top of chocolate batter, add 1 tbsp of white batter.Keep repeating alternately with chocolate & white batter till both batters get over. My batters were little runny especailly, white batter.So ,I stopped before 2-3 tbsps of batters were left.

Bake the cake at 180 degrees centigrade for 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean. I baked for 3 minutes .Then after wards, I baked in microwave mode for 2.5 minutes just to be on safe side so that cake is fully baked .Rather to ensure that it is fully baked.

Cut into desired shapes & serve.


My cake pictures will reveal that batters got mixed up & so stripes are not so visible.

Padhu's kitchen recipe says that 1/4 cup batter be put alternately .So stripes may be less & yet, the striped effect or zebra strikes would come out clearly.There are many such food blogs which show thsi recipe with step by step pictures.

Moreover, if I had mixed maida & yoghurt to get white batter instead of atta & yoghurt, the white stripes would have been more whiter.And atta with cocoa would have produced darker chocolate stripes.I used baking powder as baking powder hardly affects change in colour in baking.Baking soda will change colour from light shades to darker shades. this is to be kept in mind particularly for red velvet cup cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment